Thursday, March 13, 2014

Splinter Cell: Blacklist goggles

A couple quick notes before diving in to this build! I don't have a complete, step by step, collection of pictures. There were several times when I was so concentrated in building these that I completely forgot to take some pictures. I'll do my best to describe what's going on and what might have happened in between some of them! Here we go!

This picture is the exact same from the previous build. I use the same goggles for all of the Splinter Cell goggles. However, I should note that this will most likely be the last build I use these for. Move forward I'm exploring creating the entire thing from scratch and not building off a pre-built base.

More apoxie sculpt! I didn't use a blueprint or any for to get the shapes. I worked from reference pictures on a computer screen while working; essentially putting the material down and working as I went. This is one of the other things that will be corrected moving forward.

The apoxie sculpt is rough and uneven. I spent lots of time sanding it, and everything else, to get a smooth surface. I also cut out goggle pieces from PVC. These are the same sizes used for the Chaos Theory goggles.

The Blacklist goggles have smoother transitions from the varying eye piece diameters. These two would have fit snuggly with just a minor bit of sanding, but I wanted to get a better transition so I used my dremel to sand a notch in the smaller piece to fit better in the bigger one. Lots more sanding happened after this!

Like a glove! Just need to sand a bit to reduce the gaps.

Test placement! They fit into place quite well without any glue, but of course if an Echelon agent is to be running around, they can't just fall out. Wouldn't that be unfortunate? EPOXY!

I used the 3rd lens (picture missing) to trace out its end location. From there I drilled a hole where the LED will rest. In a bit of good luck, the LED actually rests perfectly inside the hole and is positioned straight ahead! Usually getting it to face forward takes a lot of adjusting. All I did was glue around the edges of the LED to make sure that bad boy won't budge!

What's this? I didn't ask for any guest appearances! Get out of here you two! The pieces were put back together to get an early preview of how it's working. The top lens is not attaches, it is just resting on top of the other two. 

*sigh* They're always trying to steal the attention... The third lens is now attached, and more apoxie sculpt was added to attach the straps. It's a pretty good shape at this point. Now, FOR MORE SANDING!

Yeah, don't forget who this post is all about! Stay back there (for now)! After a fair bit (okay, a lot) of sanding, a primer coat was added! It was actually added a few times before this to work out any low grooves that didn't show up on the white clay. This is always an extremely helpful step, as it can be difficult to tell where the uneven points are.

Okay so I definitely forgot to take a lot of pictures in between the last step and this one. I'll describe what I can. After the primer coat was added, and I went back and forth with sanding and priming some more, I applied a couple coats of matte black paint. After that, I covered it with a matte clear coat to protect the paint. Once all of that was set and dry, I installed the lights! Installing lights is a step that is difficult to take pictures of because I tend to get it all done in one sitting. That makes it easier to get everything in correct position and working correctly. After this I attached a one inch wide elastic strap (from a local fabric store) to the horizontal and vertical clasps. Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, you can contact me on Facebook, Twitter, or by email! Until the next build!

One happy family!